Akoestische Spiegel Redcar

Akoestische spiegels zoals deze werden gebouwd langs de oostkust van Engeland om te luisteren naar de motoren van naderende vijandelijke vliegtuigen. Tijdens gebruik zou er een paal zijn met een luisterapparaat dat vůůr het parabolische oppervlak was geplaatst.

Hoewel de spiegel zich nu in een bebouwd gebied bevindt, tijdens de Eerste Wereldoorlog, was dit een open veld en zouden de uitzichten naar zee onderbroken zijn geweest.

De bijbehorende plaquette luidt:

REDCAR EARLY WARNING STATION
This structure is a Sound Mirror or detector, built by the Royal Engineers in 1916. It was part of an extensive Zeppelin and enemy aircraft detection system deployed down the East Coast of Britain druring the First World War. Zeppelins raided the North East Coast 15 times between April 1915 and November 1917.

The sound of approaching aircraft was reflected off the concave Ďmirrorí surface and received into a trumpet mounted on a steel column.

The trumpet was connected to a stethoscope used by the operator or Ďlistenerí, and the part of the dish that produced the most sound indicated the direction of the approaching aircraft. Advanced warning of an imminent attack could then be given to local people.

By the early 1940ís sound detection technology was being replaced by Ďreflective detection findingí now known as radar.

Heeft u zelf meer informatie over deze locatie? Lever het aan!

Gebruikte bron(nen)

  • Tekst: Simon Armstrong
  • Foto's: Simon Armstrong