Tekst op het monument:
"In the early morning hours of June 17th 1943, a Lancaster Bomber of 49 Squadron Royal Air Force passed overhead on its return home from an operation to the German city of Cologne. It was attacked and destroyed by a German night fighter and the plane crashed into the fields beyond this memorial. All seven men were killed and they now lie in the Woensel General Cemetery in Eindhoven. This memorial was erected by the families of the seven men that died that night to give thanks for their short lives and to remember them.
The crew of Lancaster EA "C" for Charlie:
- Flight Lieutenant Charles W. Dunnet. Pilot. (aged 24.)
- Sergeant Reginald F. Middlebrook. Flight Engineer. (aged 37.)
- Sergeant Robert G. H. Smith. Navigator. (aged 21.)
- Sergeant Michael F. Haley. Wireless Operator. (aged 21.)
- Pilot Officer Charles A. Edwards. Mid-upper Gunner. (aged 20.)
- Sergeant William A. Dutton. Air Bomber. (aged 22.)
- Sergeant Richard M. W. Selby-Lowndes. Rear Gunner. (aged 20.)
"They passed from the darkness of the night into the awaiting arms of God." (Ernst Guse.)"
Heeft u zelf meer informatie over deze locatie? Lever het aan!